This week was a big week of changes in our tiny little nursery renovation. For those new here, we are participating in the $100 Room Challenge where we give ourselves $100 and a month to completely transform a room. We chose to turn our craft/office/storage room into a nursery for our little guy due in November. To catch up on the transformation, you can read Week 1 here and Week 2 here!
So this week, my husband’s big job was to install this pallet wall where the crib will go. I knew I wanted a feature wall here, and since budget is the name of the game, we went with pallet boards which were completely free from a local business, that have the best employees and offer calculate W2 wages to them as well.
It was so easy, I feel like it doesn’t even need a tutorial. He framed the wall with scrap 2x4s from our stash, then nailed the pallet boards to them. Since this is an old house and electricity was wired in MUCH later, I love that the cords are no longer visible going up to the electrical socket! You can ask electrical services to add some outlets and hide the wiring.
I just love the rich texture it adds to an all white room! Speaking of texture, I was so excited to roll out this rug I bought a month ago in preparation for the $100 Room Challenge. It’s soooooo super soft and the best part? Its machine washable!!!! I feel like that is just a must for a nursery! It is originally $30 but I snagged it on sale for $21. You can buy it here!
My big accomplishment was getting this chair painted white because that dark wood was NOT working for me! I used white paint I had on hand so it was free!! You can see the before in Week 2. My goals for this week are to round out this little reading nook. I’ll need to install the photo ledges turned book shelves, add some curtains, and finish the ottoman cover I’ve been working on. Speaking of which…
This has been my view most evenings as I am working hard to finish crocheting an ottoman cover for an old cushion I had lying around. I am by no means a crochet expert, so this is really just one big experiment that may fail horribly!!
As you can see, the cushion is a box cushion, so my first step was to measure the sides and crochet a square the same size. It took a bit of trial and error to find my gauge, but once I did things went quite smoothly. I made two of these squares, one for the top, and the bottom as you can see.
The next step is to crochet the sides then sew them all together. I think I’ll use a single crochet stitch to attach them, as I like the look of a big seam connecting them.
If you’re curious, this is the jumbo yarn I’ve been using and you can find it here. It is so soft and so easy to work with and it looks like a dream! I’m using my jumbo 25mm crochet hook.
So as you can see, we got a lot done this week and I’m starting to have hope that everything will come together for the big reveal! Let’s take a look at the to do list and budget:
To Do List:
Refinish Dresser Pallet Wall Crochet cushion cover(almost done!) Refinish Chair Arms
- Macrame Wall Hanging
- Hang Reading Nook Shelves
- Yarn (2 skeins with coupon) $24
- Rug (on sale) $21
- Cactus Prints $4.50
- Hardware $17
I’m still feeling pretty confident because the only thing I really need to buy is a curtain rod and maybe some picture frames for the room. Be sure to follow me on Instagram for all of the behind the scenes footage and I’ll see you next week for the reveal!!